Sunday, December 29, 2013

RE: [Geology2] Kulshan caldera ash discovered in Eastern Washington



In a related mode - in the early 70s, I was a paleontologist with the University of Nebraska State Museum and my job involved extensive travel within the state.  Because I had the opportunity to travel, I offered to collect samples for geologists with the state geological survey, and one of the things I was asked to do was to collect volcanic ash from Pleistocene deposits in the state.  It turned out that the ash was of two ages - as I remember, one was deposited roughly 700,000 years ago, the other was about 1.5 million years old.
 
You just do not think of volcanic ash being in Nebraska!  Especially since this was before the discovery of the rhinos killed by an ashfall in the NE part of the state. (Actually, the discovery was made at the time I was on that job but was pretty much a secret.)


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment