Thursday, March 22, 2012

Re: [Geology2] reply to Mexico quake.



Well it is good advice Rick...thank you. I am admittedly the sort of person that runs around with my glasses on my  head looking for them everywhere. lol. So being aware is important. lol...Allison

From: Rick Bates <HappyMoosePhoto@gmail.com>
To: geology2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:28 PM
Subject: RE: [Geology2] reply to Mexico quake.

 
There is no one single answer because of where you might be at any given moment.  In the fire service (and the military) one learns to develop 'situational awareness' (knowing where you are and what is going on around you, at all times).  That's a really good way to stay safer (it's not possible to absorb it all at once, just be aware and alert).
 
Putting that in perspective, that's why I look for (clear) exits, stairways and specific construction details (to know what is safer and which way to run if necessary).  I also note fire alarms, extinguishers and sprinkler systems.  I'm not a structural engineer, but I know that long spans of support will sway, glass breaks and exits (stairwells) in most new buildings are 'hardened'.  That's the very same stairwell that the rescuers will use to gain access.
 
Be aware of where you are, what is around you (people are the largest hazard, anywhere).  It's not just advice; it's a way of living longer.
 
Rick
 
From: Allison Loukanis

And Rick....you put a lot of "ifs" there. I suppose there is a general plan for an earthquake? But I don't know what that is and there are an awful lot of  folks who dont' know what that is...having never lived in earthquake country. Say I am in downtown Los Angeles . Do I head for the  street? Go to the basement? That is what i do in the event of a tornado. Get under something? What? Do I head for the hills? Am I gonna make that in 30 seconds? lol...you see my problem. Allison




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment